The medicine ball is one of the earliest fitness devices to be invented. It first appeared in the time of Greek wrestlers in around 1000 B.C. as part of warriors’ training and preparation routine before battle, and this has gone on to our times with the American Military Academy still using the medicine ball as a primary part of its training programs for over 200 years.
What is the medicine ball?
Medicine balls are heavy balls that are available in different weights and used to increase resistance in many exercises. It’s close to a basketball in size and weighs between 2-25 kilograms, which makes it suitable for all ages and weight groups. Some balls are made with a handle while others have a rope to allow for a wider variety of uses for different goals and results.
Types of medicine balls:
- Leather medicine ball: This is primarily used in boxing training in different weights. It is primarily used to develop core muscle strength.
- Soft gel medicine ball: This ball doesn’t float or bend and it’s perfect for exercises that incorporate a trampoline and for throwing exercises. It’s also perfect for activities that don’t require the ball to rebound. It’s very commonly used in rehabilitation exercises after injury or returning to workouts after a long time.
- Medicine ball with grip: This ball is bouncy and preferred by fitness trainers, which is why it’s a very common feature in gyms. This ball can also float making it perfect for water sports.
- Medicine ball with a rope: This type of medicine ball is great for swing and core rotation exercises because the rope remains attached to the ball. Some balls are equipped with detachable ropes, making them more versatile. There are many other types of medicine balls for a greater exercise variety to help you achieve your goals in your most-suitable way.
- Air-filled medicine ball: This ball too can float and bounce and the more air you fill it with, the bouncier it gets. It’s generally used for resistance and plyometric exercises and it can easily be deflated and re-inflated, making it easy to move and perfect for packing on trips to never miss a workout.