Total duration: 30 min – Preparation time: 5 min – Cooking time: 15 min – Duration in between: 10 min
This meal equals to four servings
- Five large garlic cloves, four of which are grated and one is whole
- Half a cup plus two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and more for oiling the grill grates
- The zest and juice of Two lemons
- One tablespoon of dried oregano
- Four large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 900 g)
- Half of a medium watermelon (about 1400 g)
- One peeled garden cucumber (about 230 g)
- One block of feta (about 115 g)
- Half a cup of pitted Kalamata olives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Half a baguette that’s halved length-wise
- Half a cup of fresh mint leaves, torn into large pieces
Preparation and cooking instructions
– Prepare a grill for medium heat.
– Put the four grated garlic cloves into a large resealable bag and add 1/4 cup of oil, the lemon zest and juice, oregano and the chicken, then seal the bag tightly and use your hands to vigorously massage the marinade into the chicken, making sure that the chicken is evenly coated.
– Marinate for at least 10 minutes at room temperature, meanwhile, remove the rind from the watermelon, cut the fruit into 3 cm cubes and put in a large mixing bowl (You should have about 6 cups total.)
– Quarter the cucumber lengthwise and cut into 3 cm pieces and place the pieces on top of the watermelon in the mixing bowl.
– Cut the feta into 1 cm cubes and put them on top of the cucumber and top with the Kalamata olives. (Do not mix yet.) Reserve.
– Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a platter and lightly oil the grill grates, then sprinkle the chicken freely with salt and pepper and arrange the pieces to be skin-side down on the grill, leaving some space between the pieces.
– Cook until the skin is lightly charred and releases itself from the grill, i.e. about 2 minutes, then rotate the chicken about 90 degrees so that the skin won’t burn and cook for another 2 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
– Cover the grill and cook until each chicken reaches about 75 degrees C (you can use an instant-read thermometer and insert it into the deepest part of each chicken), about 5 more minutes.
– Transfer to a platter and rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
– While the chicken is resting, brush the cut sides of the baguette halves with two tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
– Arrange the bread cut-side down on the grill until lightly charred and warmed through, i.e. about 2 minutes.
– Halve the remaining garlic clove and lightly rub the cut sides of the garlic onto the hot bread, then halve each piece of baguette and scatter most of the mint over the watermelon mixture.
– Add the remaining 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil and a large pinch of salt and pepper and gently stir to combine.