This vegetarian meal is light on the stomach, fiber and protein-rich and low-calorie.
Nutritional facts (per serving)
- Calories: 323
- Protein: 10 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Sodium: 301 mg
- Potassium: 453 mg
- Cholesterol: 191 mg
- Calcium: 50 mg
- Iron: 2 mg
- Vitamin A: 3648 international units
- Vitamin C: 36 mg
- Sugar: 8 mg
- Magnesium: 1 mg
- Servings: 6
- Preparation: 15 minutes + 30-minute break
- Cooking: 5 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas (with liquid)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic, well-chopped or mashed
- 1 medium-size carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 small red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat a medium frying pan on high heat, add the water, oil and salt and bring to a boil, then add the couscous and turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan and set aside for about 5 minutes for the couscous to absorb the water, then stir gently with a fork.
- Put the couscous in a larger bowl then add the chickpeas, peas, carrots, tomatoes, pepper, raisins and pine nuts. Mix gently.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, oregano and oil. Add 3 tablespoons of the chickpea liquid and stir, then add the couscous bowl, mix and toss well.
- Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes until the flavors mix, then serve.